Saturday, July 14, 2012

Some of the details.

OK I think I have a minute to type, let's see what I can get down:)  On Tuesday July 3rd I had woken up a few times through out the night (of the 2nd) with some contractions, just mild but noticeable.  I went on with my day as scheduled, took Chloe to preschool, had a pedi, got Chloe from school, we went shopping to a few places, cleaned, did laundry and caught up on all the household duties.  I also sent an e-mail to my family confirming the arrangements that we had made for my upcoming scheduled inducing on the night of the 5th.  Coincidentally Jason only worked 8 1/2 hours compared to his usual 10 1/2+ hours that day so he could feel like he had a real holiday break.  This was perfect because I had a hair appointment at 4pm.  So I went to the appointment and warned my stylist that I was having contractions but nothing major and not to worry.  I had a great hair cut, scalp massage and blow out, I have to say I looked good and felt great!  Then I got up from the chair, busted out into a major sweat and had a major contraction, my 24 yo stylist's face was priceless!  The time is currently 5pm and it was time to collect myself in the parking lot and drive home the couple miles super excited that the day was finally here! 

You see at this point I was 2 days past due but each day really felt like a month long!  I got home and called my friend Sara to cancel our family dinner plans.  I didn't think they would appreciate listening to my breathing exercises while eating;)  Then came the call to my brother who so generously was our first responder and dropped his evening plans to come over and take care of Chloe.

After Jason finally screwed in his large tool box into the back of his truck, the truck we weren't driving and the tool box that had been sitting there for a week or so, you see where I'm going with this....a little bit of nervous energy was going on:)  We left for the hospital texting for me and calling for Jason, our family and friends that we were on our way. We arrived and checked in, getting into our labor and delivery room at 6:15pm.  The next hour and a half was CRAZY!  The labor was seriously fast and furious.  I am shocked and surprised to tell you that I didn't have any drugs!  And our precious baby boy was born at 7:48pm.  After 2 quick pushes and the Dr. finally making her way into the room mid first push, she caught him and I waited to hear his cry.  I didn't hear anything and desperately asked if he was OK.  They were suctioning out his airways as he had swallowed some meconium and then came the sound every mother wants to hear, a loud burst of crying!  Thank you God!  It could have been a different situation and I don't even want to think about that.  But they hooked him up to oxygen and after the fastest minute of me being able to hold him they took him to the NICU for observation for the next hour.  I recovered in the room completely in shock at how fast everything had just happened.  Jason was a huge support and it was wonderful to have him there with me.  I don't know what it would be like to see your spouse go through such an experience but he was strong and supportive and that's exactly what I needed. 

Then we get our first visitors, Chloe, Rich and Andrea came to visit:)  In that short couple hours they made time to get Cooper a gift, it wasn't the pink haired barbie that Chloe first suggested but a very sweet stuffed animal:)  After that hour, they moved me down to my room and brought in Cooper.  It was so great to see him again and he checked out healthy and didn't need the oxygen mask any more.  We were lucky enough to have fire works going off outside our window too.  What a fun way to celebrate the night. 

The next 2 days and nights at the hospital were filled with love, visitors and little sleep;)  Thank you to Rich and Andrea for taking Chloe out to a swim/play date with Caden, she loved spending time with you all.  Thank you to Tyler and Rebecca for having Chloe over to play and for making the welcome home sign, that was so sweet!  Thanks to Sara and Kaylee for coming to visit me and Cooper and for the cute gifts for both of the kids!  Thanks to Jason for taking over the daily routine with Chloe.  Thank you to the Petersen's for bringing supper, for the gifts, clothes, diapers and for watching Chloe both before and after Cooper was born, you have been very gracious!  Thank you to Brigett, Tyler and Steve for coming to visit and for the food and diapers and for taking Chloe out for some fun times and fro-yo!  Those are the 2 most wanted items at the moment food and diapers:)  Thanks to my dad for coming to stay and for sharing his endless words of wisdom with me;)  Thank you to Tim and Janet for coming down to visit and for the cute clothes and gift for Chloe! 

I really couldn't have done it with out my mom I owe you a HUGE thank you, mom!  You came down here for 5 days and 4 nights and did it ALL!  And I mean everything, including making my new fave lasagna, making lunch for all the family/visitors, grocery shopping, taking Chloe out for some one on one time, changing endless diapers, changing clothes, rocking baby to sleep, cleaning the kitchen, doing dishes, doing garbage and recycle, sweeping the floor, driving me around while I recovered, the JJ's gift card, buying boxes and boxes of diapers, and for the emotional support while my hormones go a little crazy:)  I love you so much and appreciate all that you have done and continue to do for me and my family.  You are the best!  

Stats: 

Cooper Quentin Smith was born July 3rd, 2012 at 7:48pm, 8lbs 13 oz, 21 1/2 inches long.

As of Tuesday the 10th Cooper weighed 9lbs 5oz!  He's bustin out of his newborn clothes and diapers:) 

Cooper's umbilical cord fell off yesterday while we were out at Monkey Joe's.  I remember when that happened with Chloe and I cried.  But I kept it together this time, bittersweet is that moment.

No comments: